Family Silhouette



 I made this a few weeks ago but couldn't post it until I gave it to my mommy for her birthday.


It took me a couple of attempts to get it right so here is what I learned:

To make the stencil I used several pictures I already had and the pictures others had posted on their facebook so I did't have to spoil the surprise and tell them what I was doing, BUT it is defiantly easier to make if the picture is taken with the sun behind the subject. 

First I made the a stencil. There are two ways to do this:

OPTION ONE(print and cut)
Print the pictures out on freezer paper and use a exacto-knife to cut it out. I found this trick on It's a Daisy Day.

OPTION TWO (use Cricut, and Make the cut to cut he stencil out for you)
Open the photos in photoshop to make a silhouette from each image. Then make one image with all the silhouettes just as you want them to be cut.



Use Make the Cut software to trace the image and cut out the image out of freezer paper (wax side down).


Cut the fabric to the size of the frame by using the glass as a guide. (I used some extra burlap I had)

Lay the stencil on the fabric and iron it on.

It was easier to get the placement of the center pieces by ironing on the big piece around. After it was ironed on, pull off the large piece and leave the small pieces on the fabric.




Then paint all the exposed fabric.

 **the first time I painted I let it get too wet and the paint bled into the covered areas. If you use a spray paint, do several light even coats and let dry in-between.***

When it's dry, remove the paper and put it in the frame.

 I also think this would make an adorable little pillow!




This idea was featured: 


UndertheTableandDreaming









11 comments:

Unknown said...

How creative, fun, and darling, thanks for linking it! Jenn

Ashlee Marie said...

Fun idea, to do a whole family of silhouette on one picture! Very nice! I'd love it if you'd link up to my Topsy Turvy Tuesday's tomorrow!

Melissa said...

That turned out really cool - it is a unique idea!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Nina, Love this idea! What a great gift. I have featured this today - Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase, I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Sara said...

Great idea! Very creative!

Mad in Crafts said...

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Robin Ange said...

Great job! Thanks for linking up!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

This is such a cool silhouette. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my 'featured" button.

Anonymous said...

This is so much fun!! Love this idea! Thanks for sharing! Found you on Night Owl Crafting!

Unknown said...

Your fam. silhouette has been featured on CraftOManiac.blogspot.com Thanks jen

Leslie said...

What a great idea! I love how personalized it is! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...