Freezer Meals


I have been working double time to stock my freezer. I hope it will make life easier when I have this baby. Here is what I have in my freezer:

4 (4 servings)-Mashed Potatoes
1 (8 servings)-Loaded Baked Potatoes
3 (4 servings)- Chicken Spaghetti
3 (4 servings)- Sweet and Sour Chicken
28 (single serving)- Chicken Rice Wraps
1 (8 servings)- Enchiladas
2 (4 servings)- Broccoli Risotto
3 (4 servings)- Baked Ziti
4 (4 servings)-Alfredo
4 (4 servings)-Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
3 (4 servings)-Garlic Bread
4 (4 servings)- Peppers and Onions 


 
Freezer tips:

  • A lot of casserole recipes will cook just great on the stove top. I put most everything in a plastic bag because it cooks faster on the stove top and it doesn't heat the whole house up like the oven seems to. Plus it takes up less space in the freezer.
  • A lot of people do one day of cooking and make lots of meals. That is just overwhelming to me ...especially in my condition (8 months pregnant). I'll do two meals in on session, but usually I just double or tipple what's for dinner that night. It is just as easy to double a recipe and freeze some for another day as it is to make one.
  • When you notice something that goes on sale stock up and freeze it. I use peppers and onions for several meals (curry, fajitas, philly cheesesteak) When I see peppers on sale I go crazy. I also buy chicken in bulk when it is on sale. I cook it, shred it, and put it in bags for several uses. (I keep shredded chicken in my main freezer so it is handy when I am cooking.)
  • When cooking I like to keep my sink filled with soapy water. That way when I am done with something, I can quickly wash it up. It really cuts down on the amount of dishes you use and when your done cooking, your pretty much done cleaning too.
  • I keep a small garbage sack on the counter while I prep. Our city recently started doing curb side recycling, so I actually keep two grocery sacks on the counter (one for garbage and one for recycling) When I'm done cooking  they go right out to the big cans outside. 
  • As you can see in the picture everything fits in the freezer so well when it is frozen flat first and then stood up later. I use a cookie sheet to lay the bags on while it freezes and then stand it up the next day. I got lazy a couple of times and I always regret it. (like the potatoes) They just don't fit as well and with the air in the bag it doesn't stay as fresh as long either. 
  • I never seemed to have trouble with my feet hurting while I cooked until I was about 7 1/2 months pregnant. Now I do, but I have found it helps sooooooo much to where my Crocs while I cook! I defiantly recommend it if your feet or back get sore.  

If you have any good freezer recipes or tips, please share. I still have room in my freezer and until this baby comes I'll continue to fill it up. :)

19 comments:

Jenn said...

I need to do this really bad, thanks for the great ideas!

Kim said...

I may or may not be an idiot, but do you actually cook everything before your freeze it or is everything just prepped up and frozen in the bag?

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

This is VERY impressive! My freezer is scary right now... Thanks for the inspiration! I would love for you to visit my HomeMade Monday blog party at HomeSavvyAtoZ.com next week to share this post!

N said...

I always cook my meet but I know that other people don't. Then I try and keep everything as fresh as possible when it goes into the freezer so I get as much nutrients as possible. Anything that is supposed to be baked I stop before that step, and divide it into the freezer bags. The bell peppers and onions are just cut into strips and frozen raw. I cook things like Mashed potatoes, Alfredo let us eat what we will and then split up the leftovers into bags.

Mandy said...

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I've had a general idea of freezing meals and it's been on my list of things to do for a while, but this post gives me a perfect execution plan to actually get it done =)

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I prepared meals & put them in the freezer before our son was born. I continue to cook extra & freeze meals now he is 4 years old. It is so nice to not have to cook after work.

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

I so need to do this, too! Thanks for sharing. Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Trulieunique said...

several great tips that I had not read before! I try to do similar things when I cook big meals like casseroles and enchiladas. I make several batches at once and freeze the extras.

Kris@ourthriftynestof7 said...

I do this too... :))
I'm pregnant with #5, and have started to make life easier by cooking meals and freezing, and LOVE it! I use a book called "Cook for a day, Eat for a month." Love it, has helpful recipes, shopping list, and great hints.
Happy pregnancy!

Elizabeth said...

Visiting from I Heart Naptime Crafts. Great idea and thanks for sharing!

More Than A Mom
http://morethana-mom.blogspot.com

brokeintrovert said...

This is so impressive and organized. I need to do this so that when I don't have the time or the feeling to cook something we don't have to order a pizza all the time.

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Thanks for linking up!

christi said...

Amazing Nina... I love this even for new recipe ideas plus being able to freeze them. Thank you for sharing

www.you-made-that.com said...

great tips for planning and freezing meals for later use. Good luck with your baby.

Me said...

Hey Nina! Yes i do remember you! Thanks for your comment on my blog!! Now I am stalking you. :)You are nice. I wish we were neighbors too so that you could freeze my meals for me, hee hee. This blog looks awesome!!! I am going to have fun browsing this, I so need help with domestication! So you just had a baby?? Aw don't you love it, it's the best, especially when you start sleeping again… anyway good luck with your baby!!

AsSnugAsABug said...

Looking good! That's an awesome freezer. I'm a big freezer cooker but struggles with what meals to make so we have a few on high rotation.

Unknown said...

Looks good - I love the idea of Freezer cooking. I really need to do something like this.

Unknown said...

This is a fabulous idea! So convenient and organised.

Rita said...

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" for the links to my site! I'm glad the recipes worked out well for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...