Slow Cooker Carnitas

My mom has been on a no sugar diet for a few months. It seems soooo hard to me to come up with recipes that are sugar free, but I am always amazed by the wonderful food she comes up with ...Especially these carnitas!! So I asked for her recipe and here it is:

4 pound     Boneless pork shoulder
11 cloves   Garlic (7 whole, 4 slivered)
1/2 Tbs      Salt
1 tsp          Pepper
2  Tbs        Garlic Powder
2 Tbs         Onion powder
2 Tbs         Cumin
1 Tbs         Coriander
1 Tbs         Chili powder
1/2 tsp       Oregano
1/4 tsp       Cinnamon
2                Onions sliced
2                Bay leaves
2 cups        Chicken Broth
1/4 cup       Lime juice


Using a knife, make incisions all over the pork and insert the slivered garlic.  Mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin,  coriander, chili powder, oregano, and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat the pork wiht the spice mixture. Place onions, bay leaves, and and whole garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker, and place the pork on top. Squeeze on the sitrus and pour the broth evenly over the top.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds easily with a fork.

Shred meat and serve with tortillas, sour cream, salsa, and sliced avocado.

1 comment:

Katt said...

I thought I couldn't get on here anymore...I just found it on my gmail dashboard! Cool, now I can look at this site again. Yippee. Nina, thanks for the very cute and sweet card. You always know how to make someone feel special. I had a lot of fun too. My mom gave me your email address but it looked strange. Doesn't it have your last name in it? Did you get the pictures from the shower?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...